The Great Gatsby is the most anticipated 3D movie of the year directed by Baz Luhrmann.
The movie is out today, Friday May 10th, and it will open the 66th Cannes Festival on May 15 Out-of-Competition, as part of the Official Selection.
The Great Gatsby was adapted from the novel written by American author Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. The story takes place during the most prosperous time in the United States, soon after the World War I. The era of the jazz evolution, flapper culture and the beginning of the Art Deco generation.
It is the romantic tale that depicts the glamorous and tragic figure of Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), as narrated by his friend Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) who witness the love affair of Jay and his married relative Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan), the one who once rejected Gatsby in the past…
Before you head to the theater, I wanted to share a few interesting facts about the movie:
- When Carey Mulligan was chosen for the role, the previous Daisy assortment included an impressive list of young Hollywood over-achievers including Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Amanda Seyfried, Michelle Williams, Jessica Alba and Blake Lively.
- Tiffany designers crafted a magnificent collection of jewels for the movie including the headpiece in platinum bringing Daisy Buchanan to life.
- Miuccia Prada has designed 40 looks for the movie inspired by the styles from Miu Miu and Prada archive. Prada worked in collaboration with the talented costume designer Catherine Martin.
- American brand Brooks Brothers has designed costumes for the movie’s male actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.
- The Great Gatsby production budget was $127000000.
- It will be the second 3D film to open Cannes following the Pixar animation Up in 2009.
- Di Caprio, playing Jay Gatsby, will be walking up the famed Cannes film festival red carpet – for first time since 2007.
- Australian director Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, will open the Film Festival.
- The 3D film is an adaptation of the book by F Scott Fitzgerald which was partly written in nearby Juan les Pins.
- The Great Gatsby soundtrack including the artists like Jack White, Florence + The Machine, Beyoncé, André 3000, Lana Del Rey and The Bryan Ferry Orchestra was produced by Jay-Z.
Source: Tatler.ru Festival-cannes.fr Buzzsugar.com Guardian.co.uk